A virtual private network (VPN) protects your privacy, speeds up streaming on some ISPs such as Comcast and keeps your IP hidden. You can even use VPN services for online marketing to see what people in other countries see when they search for your website. Most workplaces use Internet filters. VPNs allow you to bypass these filters Whatever-your reasons, a VPN is a good way to help protect your-anonymity online.
To use a VPN, you need to configure the service for your-Windows computer-. A VPN is different than a proxy. A proxy server also hides your IP address However, a proxy server is configured in your browser settings. Proxy servers are less secure than VPNs, so it’s better to invest in a VPN when you want to secure Internet access. Some VPN services also offer encrypted connections for added security NYC SEO.
Steps to Configure VPN
1. Click the Windows “Start” button and select “Control Panel.”
2. Click “Network and Internet.”
3 Click “Network and Sharing Center.” This section of your Control Panel has several network settings for your machine’s hardware. The top portion shows you if you’re connected to the Internet already. The bottom section is where you can view network settings or set up a new connection.
4. Click “Set up a new connection or network.” Windows shows you a list of network options. You can set up a VPN, dialup or wireless connection from this menu.
5. Click “Conned to a workplace.” 6. Click “Use my Internet connection (VPN).” If you have a dialup number or different type of connection, choose “Dial directly.”
7. Type the Internet address for your VPN in the first text box This address is usually a subdomain of your VPN service URL such as “us-east.internetvpn.com.” You can also use an IP address forthe connection location. Most VPN services have a server access point close to your location, but you can use any access point provided you have a user name and password to conned.
8. Type a name for your connection. This name can be any friendly name that helps you recognize the connection in your settings. If you want to share this connection with other computers on the network, check the box labeled “Allow other people to use this connection.”
9. Click “Next” and type your VPN user name and password. Check the box labeled “Remember this password,” so you don’t need to enter it every time you want to connect to the VPN.
10. Click “Connect.” Windows connects to your VPN service until you manually disconnect. You can now check your connection to ensure that it’s working.
Open a browser and go to “whatismyip.com.” Look at the IP address listed. The website also lists the location of your IP. The IP displayed should be different from your ISP’s IP address assigned to your router. It should also show a different location than where you are located.
You can now browse the Internet anonymously. If your ISP blocks certain websites, you can access them freely without the filters